BEGINNERs/ intermediate singers
August 12th: 7.45-5pm.
August 30th: 7.45-5pm
If there is a smaller group size than 9 people, the retreat will be 8.40am-5pm
Run by swimming and singing coach Ella Turk-Richards, this unique retreat enables participants to benefit from her expertise in both spheres. Swimming and singing with sea and music lovers helps Ella to build a rapport with each participant, facilitating progress and confidence. Improving your swimming and vocal skills, especially in a group setting, is good for body and soul and can generate an unbeatable sense of positivity and happiness.
START THE DAY WITH A WILD SWIM
In the morning you’ll have a glorious sea swim, supported by open-water swimming coach and qualified lifeguard Ella Turk-Richards from Wild Edge Swim. Back on dry land (bring plenty of warm clothes), you can relax with a hot drink and sweet snack*.
WARM UP YOUR VOCALS
Next up, singing coach Ella will guide you through a vocal workshop with a comprehensive vocal warm-up and joyful renditions of popular group songs.
TAKE A BREAK
Bring your own packed lunch or you can buy lunch from various Newlyn shops, cafes.
SING IN THE AFTERNOON
The afternoon vocal session offers an inviting selection of choir songs, plus the chance to focus on your chosen melody, with specialist guidance from Ella. There will be a short break for refreshments.
Ella is a musician, choir leader, vocal coach, performer. Ella has been running singing groups since 2004 and has been singing teaching since 2006, and vocal coaching since 2012.
She is an experienced tutor, having trained in using the Estill Voice Model from 2013.
Ella currently runs two choirs in Penzance, an advanced Choir; Vox and Pitch & Holler for beginners and intermediate singers.
The first wild swim part of the retreat will take place in a Penzance based location listed below. You will be texted the day before what location that is, to ensure the best possible conditions for your wild swim.
The vocal Workshop part of all the retreats will be held at West Cornwall Inner Space, in Newlyn:
£50 Deposit required to book your place.
The remaining £40 must be paid at least 2 days before the start of the retreat.
For this retreat you need to be able to :
- to hold a melody and sing in tune with other people, and have had some experience of holding a harmony within a group. Everything will be taught by ear, so you don’t need to be able to read music
- to comfortably swim 200 meters.
You have the option to choose to do just one part of the retreat;
- Swim session : 50 mins, with additional 40 mins Sea safety advice: £35
- Vocal Retreat, with additional expert advice offered through the day for each person: 11am-5pm: £55
You need to fill out the registration form – selecting Wild Swim/Voice Retreat and provide your sea swimming experience and general swim level experience so that we can tend to your needs within the sea swim part of the retreat.
Battery Rock, Wherrytown or Penzance harbour (all within Mount’s Bay), depending on conditions.
The nearest car park to all these venues is St Anthony’s car park, TR18 4AU.
- Please note: If weather conditions make it too difficult on the south coast, and it is safe conditions on the north coast we will relocate to Carbis Bay for the morning swim in the retreat. There will not be a minibus provided for the group, but if you do not have transport there will be options we can offer for providing a lift to and from Carbis Bay for these clients, for the morning swim.
- Depending on sea conditions, the water entry point will be at one of the three Penzance venues specified above. We will contact you by text the day before each session to confirm where we are meeting.
- This course will run in the rain!
- As far as possible we will keep to the specified times and dates, so you will be swimming and learning in a range of conditions, within safe parameters.
- On occasion, sea conditions may mean we need to reschedule the wild swim session to a different part of the day.
Swim Kit Requirements
- A wetsuit, goggles, swim cap, and if you own one, a tow float.
- (Swim caps are available to buy from Wild Edge Swim for £7).
- Please direct any questions about this to Wild Edge Swim and check the Swim Kit list to see if you have what you need.
Should numbers necessitate splitting the group into two for the wild swim, the morning timetable will be:
(These times may be adjusted slightly if the swim takes place at Carbis Bay.)
more experienced sea swimmers
less experienced sea swimmers
If only one swim group is needed, then the session will begin at 8.40am.
These times may be adjusted slightly if the swim takes place at Carbis Bay.
post-swim refreshment break
A variety of light sweet snacks will be provided by Wild Edge Swim at the beach.
Please bring your own hot drink and or water for after your swim.
morning vocal workshop at West Cornwall Inner Space, Newlyn.
- Vocal warm-up, introducing the central foundations of good vocal technique.
- Sing fun warm-up songs in unison, in a round, and in harmonising parts if relevant.
- Learn sea shanties and other popular songs.
You are welcome to bring a packed lunch. Alternatively, you’ll find a range of lunch options in Newlyn with a range of bars, cafes, fish bar and take away sandwich shops for some delicious morsels. Inner Space is right in the middle of Newlyn, so the amenities are all close by. (Please note: lunch is not included in the price of the course.)
afternoon vocal workshop
There will be a 10-minute break at 3pm (refreshments provided).
- Learn two more group songs with harmonising parts in at least one of these songs. This will give you the opportunity to practise the new techniques you learned earlier, while reinforcing the mood-boosting, life-enhancing sense of joy instilled by singing in company.
- Recap the main technique foundations to help solidify your new skill set.
- Take part in Ella’s specialist vocal coaching, to workshop a song of your choice, further enhanced by group participation. With a group size capacity of up to 15, make sure you don’t miss out on one of the 8 spaces available for this opportunity.
Ella Turk-Richards is a fully qualified beach lifeguard so you are in safe hands.
Depending on sea conditions, the water entry point will be at one of the three Penzance venues specified above.
Ella will contact you by text the day before each session to confirm where we are meeting.
new-found sea swimming and vocal skills.
Learning while having fun can generate an incredible sense of positivity and self-worth,
besides which you’ll hopefully feel gorgeously sea-kissed and in perfect harmony!